Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Daddy's Girl...

Mama Kat is giving me something to blog about this week - thank goodness! I haven't been blogging like I normally do and haven't even been commenting like I normally do. I have been in stalker mode - stalking your blogs - but not necessarily commenting on them. Bad bad bloggy friend I am!

So I thought I'd take the challenge on (when actually it isn't a challenge) to do Mama Kat's assignment.

I picked number one. The subject: Describe your significant other's most attractive quality (on the inside).

Now there are a TRABILLION (my new word) of things I could write about...but the one that always melts my heart is the way he loves our little munchkin.

I remember when I found out I was pregnant - he was scared. I was scared. She was a surprise, we were not married, we had NO CLUE what to expect. I really wanted to know the sex of the baby and he was on the fence. But he obliged the hormonal pregnant woman (smart man he is) and we found out we were having a girl.

I remember him telling me he didn't know how to take care of a girl. He knew how to take care of a boy but not a girl. I told him over and over, "she'll have you wrapped around her little finger before you know it" and he just couldn't comprehend it. I explained the love between a father and a daughter and I don't think he truly *got* it either. I think he thought he would be a bad parent, or would not be good at the job. I assured him (or at least tried to) that he would be perfect as a father.

And I was right. I love it when I am right! :)

He is THE MOST amazing father. To see him love her the way he does just melts my heart. Each and every time he is with her, my heart LITERALLY melts. He is SO great with her. He knows EXACTLY how to take care of her and he does it so tenderly, so amazingly and so patiently (okay...99% of the time he does it patiently but anyone with small munchkins knows that you can't have patience 100% of the time).

I hear stories of when she was born and when he brought her out of the surgery room (I had an emergency c-section) that he walked out SO PROUD, SO in love and SO happy. I REALLY wish I could have seen that. Just writing about it makes my eyes all misty because it's just SO touching to hear everyone say how he paraded her around, dancing with her and showing her off. Everyone that was waiting remembers THAT moment more than anything else. I SO wish I could have seen it - but I was pretty much asleep in the other room from being SO exhausted from 3.5 hours of pushing only to never get anywhere (literally - we got NO where...well...besides in surgery!).

It's definitely been a HUGE learning experience for both of us. Neither of us knew what the heck to expect. But...we are in this together and I am SO proud. I only hope I can be as good a parent as he is. He has taught me a lot in the short 16 months that we have had her. He is an inspiration to me.



8 comments:

Tara Bennett said...

Good men are the best, aren't they? I love the pix of your big burly man and your teeny tiny baby. Precious!

Kristen said...

Awwww you made me cry!
What great memories to have and to look forward to!

Susan said...

Awe! How sweet. I love the relationship between a girl and her dad and Emily is a lucky girl. Just an FYI....boys are like that too with their mothers...like little pieces of velcro and so sweet. Even if they do get stinky. :)

Trina said...

I remember that moment when he walked out holding your new baby girl...he was the proudest Papa in the world, with the biggest smile from ear to ear! I'm so glad I was there to see that moment and I got to share that special time with the three of you!
Luff you!

Jo-Jo said...

Daddy's and their girls. Enough said.

Anonymous said...

Awww you can tell that that is HIS baby. Great blog, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Minxy Mimi said...

Thats a wonderful tribute!
He sounds like an awesome daddy!

FFS said...

aww, that totally made me all misty eyed. That was really sweet.

I remember him calling me to tell me, it was awesome. He was so happy.

You two are great parents!