Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Writing Assignment

It's been a long time since I did one of these. This week...I almost decided NOT to do it again - but then I thought...why not.

Mama Kat gave a few descriptions of things I am intrigued enough to write about...

1.) Write a limerick.

2.) Normal is...

3.) Describe a memorable camping experience.

4.) What's the best thing that has happened this week?

5.) Did you have a childhood hideout? Where? Describe it.

6.) Words that hurt me.

The one that stood out the most would be a camping trip that was memorable. Oh boy was it. In fact, I highly doubt I'll EVER forget it.

So I believe it was 2006? I remember Hubby was still on probation at work and couldn't take time off to go with us so I am thinking that is when it was. It was his sister, her boyfriend at the time, my cousin and my 'friend' let's call her 'A' that decided to head up camping for Memorial Day Weekend. Memorial Day Weekend around here is filled with TONS of sunshine, water activities, whatever.

We head up about 2 hours away to camp. We set up camp. We start to BBQ and start to drink. I am the only one not really drinking. I am not sure why I didn't want to, but I just didn't. Everyone continued to drink into the night. Erik's sister and her boyfriend finally went to bed and A, my cousin and myself headed to the bar to hang out. Yes, there is a bar at the campground. My cousin and A continue to drink. I continue to drink water. What a party-pooper I am.

We get back to camp and somehow A and my cousin get into an argument. A VERY LOUD argument. At 2am. What a disaster. A (who is now my ex-friend) got REALLY belligerent, got really...well...out of line. I am not going to write out all she was yelling. It would be pretty embarassing for her. She doesn't read this blog, but I am deciding not to go there. So she packed her stuff and decided to leave. We tried to stop her since she was completely wasted. We hid her keys. We tried physically calming her down. It didn't work. She had a spare set in her glove box that she grabbed and headed home. Well..rather, headed to jail with a DUI. It was a very dramatic scene and for 3 sober people (Erik's sister, her boyfriend and myself) it made it 20 times worse. By the time she left, my cousin was even sober too.

The next day Erik's sister, her boyfriend, my cousin and I woke up to some VERY VERY VERY cold weather. It was MISERABLE cold. It had taken a HUGE turn from the day before. In fact, it was at least 32 degrees cold. Hubby's sister and her boyfriend said they weren't going to camp in that weather (they had a tent, we had a trailer) so they packed up and left. Cousin and I were left camping, which wasn't that big of a deal. But we were stuck in the trailer...on Memorial weekend...because of this:


And this:

and this:


Yes...snow. On Memorial Weekend. It was quite insane. But we made the most of it. We played cards and laughed until we cried. We packed up the next day and headed home in the afternoon.

It DEFINITELY was not what I planned. The ex-friend decided to call my hubby while on probation at work and go on and on and on about what a horrible friend I was for not sticking up for her (she said my cousin was being mean to her - when in reality, he wasn't) and how I was the one that caused her to get the DUI. She went on and on and on about how he should not be with me and he deserves better and what a horrible person I am. He left me hear the voicemails when I got home. She attempted to contact me after-the-fact so that I could return her car keys (remember, I had them so she wouldn't drive...but somehow I caused her to get the DUI) and wanted to talk. I didn't want to talk after that. The scene that was caused up camping was actually pretty intense and pretty crazy. I decided I don't need friends like that. She has some issues I REALLY hope she worked out. She isn't a bad person at all, just has some issues she needed to work on, and I hope she has! :)

But needless to say...that is BY FAR the most memorable camping trip I have been on. I haven't gone camping since!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

They say when it rains, it pours, er in your case snow? That sounds like it was definitely memorable :)

Unknown said...

Doesn't sound like a favorite even though memorable. Too bad.

LissaL said...

I am so glad that at least you got some magic and fun with snow in May:)

Anonymous said...

Well, if you ever decide to go again, you'll know it's bound to be better. It can't get worse.

♥ Kathy said...

Crazy people always try to drag you into their craziness :o I'm glad you decided to NOT continue to friendship. She sounds much less sweet than you :)

Firehouse mama said...

I am NOT a camper, but I imagine Dawson will eventually want to go and I'll have to breakdown and go...hopefully my trip goes better than yours did!

Sherri Murphy said...

Ahh, the memories!

Funny story.

Carrin said...

Wow! That is definately something to remember. Snow, fighting and alcohol. What a combo!

KatBouska said...

Some issues?? The first being...how about not drink anymore?? I wonder if losing her friend over her behavior was a wake up call...

Sounds like a drama filled weekend! I'm glad you at least had warm clothes!!!

Angela Tolsma said...

at least you had her keys and know you tried. that sucks that she was so horrible

I Am Who I Am said...

Wow, you definitely cured me of any desire I may have had to sleep outdoors! Great post!

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Great post. Isn't camping fun LOL:)

Kristen said...

What a TRIP. Don't let that experience stop you from camping...it can be awesome...with the right people :)

I hope Kimmy is doing well.

April said...

Those are the best people to just let go. Nobody has time for that. Glad yall had fun afterward even though it snowed.

Unknown said...

Good Lord, that was quite the camping trip!

I still think you should right a limerick.. But you have to make it a really dirty one! LOL!

Later Tater